I am writing this letter in
support of Mildred Muhammad’s organization After the
Trauma. I have been a member of the Domestic
Violence community for over seven years both in
Washington, DC and Pennsylvania. The type of
organization Mildred is developing is one that
provides direct service to the victims of domestic
violence. I have found the lack of these resources
to be a weakness in struggle to combat domestic
violence. Mildred’s survival of her own personnel
struggle is a testament to the potential she has to
assist others who suffer a similar obstacle in life.
– Stephanie Lyons
After the Trauma will assist female
survivors of domestic violence in the following ways:
- Assist survivors with enrollment into various
schools to obtain their GED, a trade or a degree.
Business and Employment Programs:
- Assist survivors with employment opportunities
through partnerships with employment agencies and organizations.
- Self employment information will be available
- Assistance with information about social services
programs (i.e. welfare to work, etc…)
- Assistance with information on the temp-to-hire
agencies listed in the area
Financial Institution Services
- Assist survivor with opening a checking/savings
account to re-establish financial value
- New clothing, including shoes, will be available
for survivors and their children of all ages
Housing – Home Ownership is the Goal!
Will assist survivors in locating
available housing when exiting transitional homes or shelters as
they move forward in safety.
- Ongoing assistance to correct credit issues
that hinder advancement into home ownership
- Ongoing assistance to prepare for home ownership
- Survivors without transportation will participate
in a program that will allow them to purchase a vehicle while
improving their credit score.
- Provided by counselors to survivors and their
children on an appointment basis.
- Assist by giving information to end smoking, drug
and alcohol abuse
- Ongoing classes on the importance of eliminating
- Support group for survivors to discuss their day to
- Assistance with those challenges will be provided
- Child care will be provided when sessions are being